The Plan Commission is required by state law. It consists of nine voting members and three non-voting, ex-officio members; one from the Park District, Sanitary District and the local school districts. In addition, the mayor is an ex-officio member of the Plan Commission, but is not entitled to vote and is not be counted in determining whether a quorum of the Plan Commission is present at any meeting.
The Plan Commission has the following powers and duties:
- To prepare and recommend to the corporate authorities a comprehensive plan for the present and future development or redevelopment of the Village.
- To recommend to the Village Council from time to time such changes or specific in the comprehensive plan as the Plan Commission may deem necessary.
- To initiate, study and make recommendations regarding matters dealing with the planning of the community.
- To exercise such other powers germane to the above powers as may be conferred by the Village Council.
- To recommend, subject to consideration and approval by the Village Council, reasonable standards of design for subdivisions and for resubdivisions of unimproved land and of areas subject to redevelopment in respect to public improvements.
- To review preliminary and final plans for planned developments pursuant to the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance of the Village and to consider and recommend approval or disapproval of such plans to the Village Council, including any specific conditions of any recommended approval.
- To consider and approve certain conveyances of land that do not require a subdivision plat, pursuant to DGMC Section 20.601 of the Village Code.
- To consider and make recommendations to the Village Council concerning any request for a waiver or variation of any requirement of DGMC Section 19.14(b) for construction of public improvements as a condition of obtaining a permit for access across a parkway to Village right-of-way.
- To hear, consider and recommend to the Village Council matters dealing with amendments to the Zoning Ordinance.
- To hear, consider and recommend to the Village Council matters dealing with the granting of special uses.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of DGMC Section 2.59(a) of this Code, to hear and decide on an application for any variation from the terms of the Downers Grove Zoning Ordinance and/or the Downers Grove Subdivision Ordinance, subject to their terms, but only when such application is filed in conjunction with an application as part of a planned development, an amendment to the Zoning Ordinance, or a special use otherwise requiring a public hearing before the Plan Commission.
- To designate, subject to consideration and approval of the Village Council, land suitable for annexation to the Village and the recommended zoning classification for such land upon annexation.
- Any additional powers granted by the Illinois Municipal Code.
- 9 voting members
- 3 non-voting ex-officio members; (one each from the Park District, Sanitary District and the local school districts)
- The mayor is also a non-voting ex-officio member.
- Members serve for 3 years; terms are staggered.