West Nile Virus Cases in Downers Grove
September 29, 2021
The DuPage County Health Department (DCHD), the government agency with responsibility to protect the community from disease vectors, such as mosquitoes and ticks, through public education, awareness, surveillance and control activities, has notified the Village of two confirmed human cases of West Nile Virus in Downers Grove.
Both cases originated near the intersection of Gilbert Avenue and Carpenter Street.
At the recommendation of DCHD and to reduce the potential risk of West Nile Virus, the Village is completing mosquito abatement in a targeted area surrounding the Gilbert Avenue and Carpenter Street locations where the cases were reported.
Clarke Mosquito Control will spray for adult mosquitoes on Thursday, September 30 and Thursday, October 7, 2021. Spraying will begin at 8:00 p.m. and will only include a targeted area. Clarke will be spraying the EPA approved DUET with an ultra-low volume fogging machine mounted on the back of a truck. The active ingredient in DUET is a pyrethroid that emulates naturally derived insecticides found in chrysanthemum flowers. Residents in this area will be notified about this targeted abatement activity.
The health, safety and welfare of the community is of the utmost importance to the Village. As such, all are encouraged to take the following precautions regarding mosquitoes:
- Remove containers that may hold water to eliminate standing water which serves as a breeding ground for mosquitoes (e.g. discarded tires, cans, ceramic pots).
- Change water in bird baths at least once per week, and drain and replace water in children's backyard wading pools every four to five days.
- Make sure that rain gutters, downspouts, swimming pools and pool covers are free of standing water.
- Keep grass and weeds cut short to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes.
- Minimize time spent outdoors between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are the most active.
- When outside between dusk and dawn, wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing, which includes long pants, long-sleeved shirts, socks and shoes.
- Apply insect repellents containing DEET, Picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus to exposed skin and clothing.
- Make sure that doors and windows have tight fitting screens.
For more detailed information about the West Nile Virus, please visit the DuPage County Health Department's website.
For additional information about the Downers Grove mosquito control visit the Village's website.