We Are Glad You're Here
The Village of Downers Grove is located 22 miles west of Chicago in DuPage County, the second most populated county in Illinois behind Cook County.
With easy access to several major highways and three train stations along the Burlington Northern line to Chicago, Downers Grove is a great location to live and work. Many corporate and regional businesses such as Dover Corporation and Flavorchem are headquartered here along with Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the county.
The Village operates under the Council-Manager form of government. As defined by the Illinois Constitution, the Village is a home-rule community and provides a full range of municipal services to its residential and commercial customers. These services include police and fire protection; building code and fire prevention inspection services; paramedic services; water and stormwater utilities; a commuter and residential parking system; community development services; and the construction and maintenance of streets, stormwater, and other municipal infrastructure.
- Population estimate: 50,247
- Settled in 1832 by Pierce Downer, the Village was incorporated on March 31, 1873.
- Median household income: $105.217.
- Estimated land area: 14.6 square miles.
- Number of employees: 341.88 full time equivalent
- Property tax base: 75% residential, 22% commercial, and 3% industrial.
- FY23 General Operating Budget is $58.38M in revenue and $57.97M in expenses.