A Heat Advisory is in effect for Saturday, July 18, 2020, from noon to 10:00 p.m. According to the National Weather Service, heat index values near 105 are expected.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Stay in an air-conditioned room.
- Check up on relatives and neighbors.
- Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
Extra Precautions If You Work or Spend Time Outside
- Schedule strenuous activities in the early morning or evening.
- Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing.
- During outdoor work take frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
- Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Symptoms of heat exhaustion include dizziness, nausea, light-headedness, headache, cool and clammy skin, heavy perspiration, shallow breathing, muscle tremors and cramping.
- Additional symptoms for heat stroke, which can be fatal, include severe headache, a red and dry face, skin that is hot to the touch, rapid and shallow breathing, significantly elevated body temperature, weak pulse, changes in consciousness and seizures or cardiac arrhythmias.
Any person suffering from these symptoms may be in a life-threatening situation. Call 9-1-1 immediately.
Call ComEd to report outages and/or downed power lines at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661). Sign up for outage alerts on your mobile devices HERE.