The Downers Grove Police Department wants our community to be aware of some clues that will help you avoid being the victim of a scam. Here are some tips to remember:
It's a Scam if....
- You get a call and hear a recorded message; Hang up immediately! "Robocalls" aimed at sales are illegal.
- If the person asks you to purchase any type of cards such Vanilla, or Green Dot gift cards to make payment for anything (including IRS bills, utility bills, etc).
- If the caller claims you have won a prize, but need to send money before claiming it.
- If the caller claims that if you do not send them what they want, the police will come and arrest you (police officers are not bill collectors and will NEVER get involved in bill collection).
- If the caller identifies themselves as an authority figure (such as police) claiming to want you to send them money (or payment in gift cards) in order to get a loved one out of trouble.
- If someone calls identifying themselves as one of your loved ones that are in trouble and need cash or some type of payment in order to come home.
If you receive any type of call such as these, STOP immediately and call 9-1-1 to get advice before you do anything. It only takes a few minutes to make sure you are not falling victim to a scammer.
Remember that the police department is here to serve you. Please consider us a resource that is available 24 hours a day by calling 9-1-1.