2/17/2014 A powerful winter storm will impact Downers Grove today into the evening. "Snowfall rates with the most intense snow bands could reach over 2-3" per hour making traveling near impossible as snow crews cannot keep up with such intense snowfall", according to the National Weather Service.
Please be patient and avoid any unnecessary road travel.
VEHICLE ACCIDENTS WITHOUT INJURY
If no one is hurt and the vehicle is driveable, please file a report at the Police Department, 825 Burlington Ave.
Here's What To Expect
- Very heavy snow - 2-3" per hour between 1:00 and 5:00 p.m. today.
- Snow will likely accumulate faster than plows can clear it, resulting in snow covered roads during rush hour, even though crews are plowing.
- All available crews and equipment are responding to this storm.
- Plowing and salting will continue throughout today and overnight.
Residents are reminded of the following:
- Parking on streets is prohibited between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. when 3 or more inches of snow have fallen.
- It is against village ordinance to shovel, place, or blow snow or ice onto the street, sidewalk or any right-of-way.
- Please remember to be a good neighbor and shovel your sidewalk and any nearby fire hydrants, if you are able.
- PLEASE KEEP FIRE HYDRANTS ACCESSIBLE and shovel out an area around them (photo), if you are able.