UPDATE, October 9, 2012: Due to community interest and response to this forum, the venue has been changed, as noted:
The Downers Grove Police Department will host a panel discussion on the growing problem of heroin abuse in our community on October 25, 2012, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. LOCATION: Downers Grove North High School (Purple Gym), 4436 Main Street Downers Grove, IL.
Attendees are asked to park in the lot located at Main Street /Grant Street and enter the school through the Main Lobby.
Speakers will include:
- Downers Grove Police Chief Robert Porter
- Mr. John Roberts, co-founder of HERO, the Heroin Epidemic Relief Organization
- Ms. Kathleen Burke, Chief Executive Officer for the Robert Crown Center for Health Education
- Mr. Robert Berlin, DuPage County State's Attorney
- Mr. Matt Gainer, Director of DuPage Metropolitan Enforcement Group (DUMEG)
- Members of the Downers Grove Police Department Tactical Unit.
The format for the program will include a brief presentation by each speaker, followed by an opportunity to respond to questions from the audience.
Citizens may also request a copy of the National Child Safety Council's "Confusions 11" booklet, which is a comprehensive guide to street drugs. This material is recommended for anyone that is not able to attend the forum. To request a free copy, contact Public Education Manager Marion Heintz at (630) 434-5606.