The Village of Downers Grove has contracted with Clarke Mosquito Control to spray for adult mosquitoes on Tuesday, July 31, 2012, weather permitting. The spraying will begin atapproximately 8:30 p.m. and all streets within incorporated Downers Grove will be complete by early dawn. Should weather interfere with operations, spraying will occur on August 1.
Clarke will be spraying the EPA approved Biomist 3+15 with an ultra-low volume fogging machine mounted on the back of a truck. Biomist 3+15 emulates naturally occurring insecticides found in chrysanthemum flowers. It is recommended that residents keep the doors and windows of their homes closed while the spraying is being done. Residents with questions or those requesting advanced notification of sprayings should contact Clarke Mosquito Control directly at the hotline number, 1-800-942-2555.
A mosquito trap in Downers Grove tested positive for West Nile Virus on July 24, 2012. Residents are reminded to take the following precautions regarding mosquitoes:
- Minimize time spent outdoors between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are the most active.
- When outside between dusk and dawn, wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing that includes long pants, long-sleeved shirts, socks and shoes.
- Apply insect repellents containing DEET, Picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus to exposed skin and clothing.
- Make sure that doors and windows have tight fitting screens.
- Remove containers that may hold water to eliminate standing water which serves as a breeding ground for mosquitoes, i.e., discarded tires, cans, ceramic pots.
- Change water in bird baths at least once per week, and drain and replace water in children's backyard wading pools every four to five days.
- Make sure that rain gutters, downspouts, swimming pools and pool covers are free of standing water.
- Keeping grass and weeds cut short to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes.