A Heat Advisory is in effect for our region through 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 18, 2015. This means that a period of hot weather is expected with high temperatures and high humidity combining to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned space, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.
Be Aware of the Signs
Symptoms of heat exhaustion include dizziness, nausea, light-headedness, headache, cool and clammy skin, heavy perspiration, shallow breathing, muscle tremors and cramping.
Additional symptoms for heat stroke, which can be fatal, include severe headache, a red and dry face, skin that is hot to the touch, rapid and shallow breathing, significantly elevated body temperature, weak pulse, changes in consciousness and seizures or cardiac arrhythmias.
Any person suffering from these symptoms may be in a life-threatening situation and should call 9-1-1 immediately.
Hot Weather Tips
- Stay in an air-conditioned space at home, the library, the mall, movie theater or at a cooling center.
- Drink lots of water and natural juices. Avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and soft drinks.
- Keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but keep windows slightly open.
- Stay out of the sun and avoid going out in the heat.
- Keep electric lights off or turned down.
- Take cool baths or showers.
- Wear loose, light cotton clothing.
- Do not eat heavy meals. Avoid cooking with your oven.
- Avoid or minimize physical exertion.
- Do not sit in a hot car, even for a short time. Never leave a child or pet in a hot car.
- Check on family members, friends and neighbors to make sure they stay cool and safe, especially the very young and the elderly.
Keeping Cool Tips for Your Pets
- Provide water and shelter from the sun at all times.
- Restrict activity during extreme heat.
- Never leave pets in parked vehicles. Even moderate heat rapidly increases and can kill the pet quickly.
|Downers Grove Police Dept.
|825 Burlington Ave.||(630) 434-5600||(Lobby is open 24 hours)|
|Downers Grove Fire Station #2||5420 Main St.||(630) 434-5976||M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.|
|Downers Grove Park District
|935 Maple Ave||(630) 963-1300||M-F, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.|
|Downers Grove Public Library||1050 Curtiss St.||(630) 960-1200||
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Shopping Malls
- Other public places
Anyone needing assistance during a period of extreme heat should call 9-1-1.