Criminals look for easy opportunity when deciding to commit a crime. It's important not to give them the chance to spoil your holiday celebration, so be street smart when it comes to your personal safety and property.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; Use a single credit card or checks whenever possible.
- If you carry a purse, keep it close to your body, zipped, and in front of you.
- Walk with confidence! A criminal will target someone who looks distracted.
- Try not to carry numerous large packages. You will not be able to keep track of your purse or wallet.
- Park your car in a well-lit parking lot and walk to the car with your keys in hand.
- Items of value are tempting to a criminal; use the trunk to store purchases.
- Use caution when approached to donate to holiday charities. Research the charity before you give them your hard-earned money.
- Be suspicious of charities that take "cash only" donations.
- Use caution when giving your credit card number over the phone.
Safety at Home
- Always lock your home anytime you leave, and keep the blinds closed so that no one can look in and see expensive electronics or gifts.
- Lock your vehicle - even when it is in your driveway - and remove all valuables.