On Wednesday June 30, 2010 the Village received official confirmation that members of the Laborers’ District Council of Chicago and Local 150 of the International Union of Operating Engineers went on strike against a consortium of contractors in a 10 county area, regarding a wage and benefits dispute. The Village is not a party to this dispute and Village employees are not part of this job action.
Due to this strike, work has or will soon stop on a variety of capital projects being performed by private companies under contract with the Village of Downers Grove. These projects include:
- Belmont Road Underpass Project
- Benton Ave. Storm Sewer Project
- Washington Park and McCollum Park Storm Sewer Improvements,
- Rogers St. Water Main Resurfacing
- Inverness Ave. Improvements
- 8th and Cumnor Stormwater Project
- The following streets in the 2010 Roadway Resurfacing Project: Bonnie Brae, Lyman Ave,Weatherbee Pl & Ave, Lancaster Pl & Ave, Washington St, Meadowlawn Ave, and Whiffen Pl.
When word of a pending strike reached Village officials, steps were immediately taken to ensure that work sites around the community were safely secured. Contractors were instructed to leave each site in a maintainable, neat and passable manner. The Village is also using a combination of telephone, email and hand delivered notifications to reach those along the effected construction routes with specific information regarding the impact of this strike.
Essential Village services will continue to be provided due to the non-strike clause in the Village’s collective bargaining agreement with members of Local 150.
It is unclear at this time how long the strike will continue and updates will be provided on the Village website.