The Village has received several inquiries from concerned residents asking how they can help the families displaced by a fire on Monday that took place at the apartments at 4901 Belmont Rd.
Please call each agency to schedule your donation drop off.
- St. Vincent DePaul Society will help those who need furniture and home goods. Organizers said their supply of furniture is low and donations are welcome. Donors can arrange a pickup by calling (630) 231-4658.
- Fire victims who lost all their belongings can call St Joseph and St. Mary Catholic Churches, both in Downers Grove, at (630) 964-0216 and (630) 969-1063 respectively. Volunteers at the churches will assess the families’ needs and put them in touch with the appropriate St Vincent De Paul site.
- People’s Resource Center is opening its food pantry and clothes closet to the fire victims. Donations will be needed. Phone: (630) 682-5402.
- Saret aims to collect items for immediate needs, such as shoes, bedding, furniture, household goods, soaps and towels. The group also is accepting financial donations that can be applied for gas cards, food cards and big-box store gift cards. Donated goods and household items can be dropped off at Saret’s Baker Hill location, 866 Roosevelt Road, or its new location at 449 Main St., both in Glen Ellyn. People donating household goods should note the contents inside each box, to help make distribution easier. For details, call Saret at (630) 790-4600 or (630) 842-8876.
- Sharing Connections Furniture Bank is assisting fire victims with beds, furniture, bedding,household goods and clothes. Drop off donations of your gently used items to our warehouse at 5111 Chase Avenue. We are at the southern end of the Belmont train station in Downers Grove (one block from the fire). Warehouse hours are Monday-Friday from 9am to 3pm and Saturday from 9am to noon. Please call 630-971-0565×224.
- An account has been set up at Community Bank of Downers Grove. The fund will be directed to the three families that attend Puffer School to help with rent, utilities, food and medication. Checks may be made payable to The Puffer Elementary Fire Fund.
Please drop off or mail checks to: Community Bank of Downers Grove, Attn: Jeanine Sorn, 1111 Warren Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515 . More info call 630-968-4700.