The Downers Grove Police Department would like to alert all residents that there have been several residential burglaries in our community reported recently. Since October 16, 2009, there have been six similar residential burglaries that occurred south of Ogden and north of 55th Street and east of Main and west of Roslyn Road.
The method of entry of these burglaries has been through an unlocked or open window or unlocked door. These burglaries are occurring during daytime hours. Items taken have been laptop computers, jewelry and electronics.
1. Call 911 immediately if you observe any of the following:
- Unfamiliar subjects appearing from between homes
- Unfamiliar subjects knocking on doors and then going to the rear of the residence
- Unusual dog barking
- Suspicious, unfamiliar, occupied vehicles
2. Develop a relationship with neighbors in which you watch each other’s home while away.
“Neighborhood Watch” is a proven method of crime prevention through reporting suspicious activity to the police department. Check your landscaping to keep your driveway and yard area open and visible to neighbors.
3. Don’t be an easy target.
Lock all doors when you leave the residence, at night, and even when you are home. Lock all first floor windows with auxiliary lock mechanisms. Basement window-wells should be secured with interior locks that allow emergency exit in case of fire.
4. DO NOT enter the house if you suspect you have been burglarized.
If you approach your residence and it appears to have been broken into, do not enter. The burglar may still be in the residence. The responding police officer will check and secure the residence for you.
There is always a patrol car in your area. The sooner you call, the sooner the officer can investigate any leads/suspects.
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS , PLEASE CONTACT Detective Jeremy Thayer at (630) 434-5653.