The Village Council met with staff members on Tuesday, August 18 for the sixth in a series of meetings to discuss the Village’s 2010 Long-Range Financial Plan. The purpose of these meetings is to develop long term strategies and solutions that will be used to address difficult financial decisions. Ultimately, the Village will produce a Long-Range Financial Plan to guide budget preparations and strategic plan development.
8-18-09 Meeting Summary
Topics discussed during this session included Strategic Planning, TCD3 and the Grove Commuter Shuttle System. Village Manager Dave Fieldman outlined current elements within the Strategic Plan 2008 – 2013 in the 8-18-09 Long Range Financial Plan Presentation. Manager Fieldman indicated that many of the concepts and elements discussed as part of the Long Range Financial Planning and TCD3 processes would be incorporated as goals and action items within an updated Strategic Plan 2010 – 2014.
Manager Fieldman provided preliminary results from TCD3 which included the following common themes:
- Responsive and accountable local government
- Better communication, cooperation and coordination
- Maintain, enhance and improve neighborhood character and quality of life
In consideration of the aforementioned themes, the following recommendation from TCD3 was presented:
A New Model for Improved Communication, Cooperation and Coordination
- Intergovernmental (existing systems)
- With the Business Community (existing systems)
- With Neighborhoods
It is important to note that while there are already established channels for communication between the Village, other local governments and the business community, there is a void when it comes to a direct link to neighborhoods and the unique issues they face.
In response, TCD3 recommendations suggest the Village enact the following:
- Establishment of Neighborhood Organizations
- Enhanced communication
- Enhanced coordination
- Enhanced cooperation
- Be more responsive to localized issues
- Establish a framework for on-going neighborhood-based quality of life initiatives
A complete TCD3 Report will available by mid-September.
Manager Fieldman provided the following information as to how the Strategic Plan 2010 -2014 would be updated:
- Mission Statement – No Change
- Vision 2023 – No Change
- Core Beliefs – No Change
- Core Services – Update per Exercise
- Our Customers – No Change
- Goals 2013 – Update per TCD & LRFP
- Action Agenda – Update per TCD & LRFP
Following discussion by the Village Council, Public Works Director Nan Newlon gave the 8-18-09 Transit Service Presentation which discussed the Grove Commuter Shuttle System, including the following goals for 2010 and 2011:
- Increase efficiency and operate “in the black” with no contribution from the Transportation Fund.
- Work with PACE to transition to “Highland Park” model as funds are available, likely after 2011.
- Implement “one ticket” model.
- After 2011, reduce the contribution from local MFT .
- Continue to work with regional agencies to increase transportation options.
- Continue to work with EDC and major employers to facilitate reverse commute options.
Past Meeting Summaries
Visit the Podcast page to listen to the meetings now available.
- 5/19/09 Long Range Financial Plan Session #1
- 06/02/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 2
- 7/07/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 3
- 07/21/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 4
- 08/04/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 5
- 08/18/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 6
- 09/01/09 Long Range Financial and Strategic Planning Session # 7
The public is invited to attend the Long-Range Financial Plan meetings to be held in the Village Hall Committee Room, 801 Burlington Ave., immediately following the Village Council Meeting on the following dates:
- May 19
- June 2
- July 7
- July 21
- August 4
- August 18
- September 1—Recap