The Downers Grove Police Department reminds residents of the solicitation regulations in our village.
Commercial Solicitation (Chapter 15, Section 15.29) is defined by the Village Municipal Code as contact with residents, without an appointment, for the purpose of selling for profit any goods, services or articles, such as magazine subscriptions, insurance policies, real estate listings, cleaning products.
Non-Commercial Solicitation (Chapter 15, Section 15.39) is contact with residents, without an appointment, for the purpose of requesting contributions (money, property, or financial assistance) or selling items for charitable, religious, and political causes.
NOTE : Persons who are only seeking or giving information (public opinion polls, political campaigns, pamphlet distribution) are not defined by the Village’s ordinance as solicitors.
All Solicitors must:
- Apply for a solicitation permit at Village Hall.
- Wear their identification cards on their outer garments.
- Honor “No Soliciting” signs prominently displayed near the main entrance to the premises.
- Leave the premises when requested to do so.
- Indicate the purpose of their visit and not misrepresent their purpose.
- Solicit only during the hours set by the ordinance: : Monday thru Saturday 9 am to 6 pm, excluding holidays; : 9am to 9 pm including weekends and holidays
A solicitation permit issued by the Village does not constitute any type of endorsement or verify the applicant’s credentials. Residents are urged to use common sense when dealing with any solicitor, even those displaying a valid solicitor’s permit. As a reminder, police strongly advise against inviting any solicitors into your home.
If you have any concerns about a solicitor or feel they are in violation of these regulations, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1 to report the incident.