The National Weather Service is predicting single digit temperatures with sub-zero wind chills in our area. Residents finding themselves in need of shelter due to home heat loss should call 911. In the event that persons requesting shelter have no means of transportation, the Village will provide transportation.
Please remember to check on the well being of friends and neighbors during severe weather conditions, especially the elderly or homebound.
Additional Cold Weather Information
Prevent Freezing Pipes
- Turn faucets on and let water trickle to avoid freezing.
- Open cabinet doors to allow room heat to circulate around pipes.
- Keep pipes wrapped in insulation, if possible.
- If a water pipe bursts, shut off the main water valve to the house.
- If you are unable to obtain water from any source in your building, contact Public Works at (630) 434-5460.
Signs of Cold Weather Exposure
Seek medical attention if you are displaying these signs after exposure to the cold
- Uncontrollable shivering
- Memory lapses
- Slurred speech
- Immobile or fumbling hands
- Stumbling and apparent exhaustion; inability to get up after rest
- Contact ComEd at 1-800-334-7661.
- Turn off any light switches or appliances not necessary. This will avoid surges and damage to equipment when power is restored.