|Billing questions: email firstname.lastname@example.org||
Customers receive a bill every two months. Bills are generated for the north side of town every odd month and the south side of town every even month. The net amount is due within 21 days.
Moving In/Out of Downers Grove
When moving into or out of a property in Downers Grove, please fill out and submit the Utility Account Change Request form.
Please note: All new water accounts will be charged a $100 deposit on their first bill. When the account is closed and the final bill paid, the deposit will be refunded.
Customers may opt to receive their utility bill via email. It’s easy, secure and takes just a few minutes to fill out the Email Authorization Form (PDF or online form). Customers registered for E-Utility Bill will no longer receive a paper copy of their bill in the mail.
Participation in the E-Utility Bill program is voluntary. Those who do not register will continue to receive a paper copy of their water bill through the mail.
The Village offers several options to accommodate the needs of customers.
- Register for DIRECT DEBIT from your checking or savings account. Payment will automatically be deducted from the account on the billing due date.
IMPORTANT: (1) billing cycle is required to verify your account information with our bank. Please continue to pay your bill using your regular payment method until you receive a bill that says "AUTOPAY - DO NOT PAY".
There are two ways to sign up for this service:
a. Download the Direct Debit form, fill it out and return it, as directed. OR
b. Register online as an E-User and follow the prompts.
WATCH THIS SHORT VIDEO TO LEARN HOW TO REGISTER FOR DIRECT DEBIT:
- Online Payment with MasterCard, Visa, Discover or AMEX. Please note: The first time you pay online, you must register as a “New User” and follow the prompts.
- Mail payment to:
Village of Downers Grove
801 Burlington Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515-4776
Please allow 7 business days for delivery and processing. If a third party service is paying your utility bill by mail, please ensure they have the correct mailing address on file.
- Pay in person at Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave., or Public Works, 5101 Walnut Ave.
- Drop Boxes are located in front of Village Hall on the west side of the building, and inside the Main Street Train Station. Collections are picked up M-F (except holidays) at approximately 6:00 a.m. On Water Shut-Off Days, collections are made at approximately 8:00 a.m.
ALL PAYMENTS RECEIVED AFTER 5:00 p.m. WILL BE CREDITED TO THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.
Late Fees and Shut-Off Policy
- Accounts will be assessed a late fee equal to 10% of the total amount due if payment is not received by the due date.
- Reminder notices are mailed to late accounts the day after the due date, indicating the payment due, including the late fee. If payment is still not received, a shut-off notice will be sent.
- Customers who receive a shut-off notice must have their total payment due into the Finance Department at Village Hall by 8:00 a.m on the Monday prior to the Tuesday shut-off date.
- If payment is not received by the shut-off date, water service will be discontinued. Service will not be resumed until all arrears, plus an administrative fee, have been paid in full.
Charges applied to water are expressed as a combination of the number of units consumed per billing cycle and a fixed charge that is based on the size of the property's water meter.
Factors Affecting Water Rates
The DuPage Water Commission (DWC) purchases Lake Michigan water from the City of Chicago and in turn, distributes and sells it to member communities, including Downers Grove.
The price increase that Downers Grove customers will pay also includes increases in the rates charged by the DWC, which announced a series of rate increases that went into effect January 1, 2012. The price increase from the DWC reflects a rate pass-through of the City of Chicago water rate increases, as well as increases for DWC existing debt service payments and planned capital improvements. Part of the increase will also reflect the continued implementation of recommendations from the Downers Grove 2010 Water Rate Study.
Actual consumption is metered in cubic feet and reflected in units on the water bill. One unit is equal to 100 cubic feet or approximately 750 gallons of water.
|Customer Type||Previous Rate||
Rate Reflected on bills received
|Customers within Village limits||$5.96/unit||$6.03/unit|
|Customers outside Village limits (Unincorporated)||$6.84/unit||$6.92/unit|
Accounts are assessed a bi-monthly fixed charge based on meter size.
** MOST single family homes have a 5/8" meter.