Yard waste includes leaves, grass clippings, twigs, small branches and other garden refuse. Collection begins April 1st and continues through the second week of December.
Yard waste must be placed in one of the following:
- 33-gallon biodegradable paper bag
- 33 gallon unlined can
- Republic yard waste cart. (See Cart Rental and Other Services).
- A Sticker must be attached to each bag, can or bundle. Bags or cans may not weigh more than 50 pounds.
WHERE TO PURCHASE STICKERS
- Carts or cans must be clearly identified as yard waste. Please mark any yard waste containers on the outside as YARD WASTE, or contact the Village for a decal.
- Brush and tree branches may not exceed 4 feet in length and 5 inches in diameter and must be bundled together with jute twine or uncoated string. Bundles may not exceed 2 feet in diameter, 4 feet in length, and 50 pounds in weight.
Tips to Reduce Yard Waste Volume
- Mow over leaves before bagging them. This reduces the ratio of bags to leaves by seven to one, thereby saving money on sticker costs.
- Consider composting. Composting is the biological decomposition of organic material into a humus-like substance called compost. Leaves and other types of yard waste can be a source of materials used in a compost pile.
Tree debris from private trees as a result of storms are the responsibility of the property owner. Please refer to the Tree Maintenance page for a list of licensed tree removal companies.
Curbside Christmas Tree Collection
Free collection of live Christmas trees is offered during the first two full-weeks of January. Trees must be free of tinsel, ornaments and hooks and should not be placed in bags. Trees should be left at the curb.
THE DATES OF COLLECTION FOR THE 2018/19 HOLIDAY SEASON WILL BE JANUARY 2 THROUGH 14, 2019.
- Comprehensive Guide to Solid Waste