Household Hazardous Waste
Residents of Downers Grove and DuPage County may dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (except latex paint) at the Regional Household Hazardous Waste collection site in Naperville at 156 Fort Hill Drive. The hours are Saturdays and Sundays (except holidays) from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. For information about the site and accepted items, visit the City of Naperville HHW Collection Site webpage or contact Naperville’s Department of Public Works.
The DuPage County Online Recycling Guide answers questions regarding household hazardous waste, how to safely dispose of these products, and how to recycle many other household items.
For more information about hazardous waste disposal, please contact the DuPage County Hazardous Waste hotline.
|Regional Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
|156 Fort Hill Dr., Naperville|
|Naperville Public Works||(630) 420-6095|
|DuPage County Waste, Recycling and Green Initiatives||(630) 407-6700|
Special Events/Electronics Recycling
- Naperville Electronics Recycling
- Downers Grove Township - Electronics Recycling
- Village of Lisle- Electronics Recycling
- Visit the DuPage County Waste, Recycling and Green Initiatives webpage for information about special one-day collections of recycled materials, electronics or household hazardous waste at sites throughout the County.
Latex paint can be dried with cat litter, oil absorbent, sawdust or another absorbent material. Once the paint is dried, it can be scooped out and disposed of with regular garbage. The can may be rinsed out and put with curbside recycling. Another method is to leave the lid off the can and allow the paint to dry out. The can and contents may be placed in your regular garbage.
Kin-ko Ace Hardware, 6216 Main St, Downers Grove, uses Epaint Recycling Solutions to recycle oil and latex paint for a small fee. Call (630) 968-4355 for pricing and quantity information.
This location also accepts the following:
- Rechargeable batteries
- Thermostats that have mercury
- Old sump pumps
- Sump pump batteries
- Old keys
- US Flags
- Holiday lights
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFL’s)
The following retailers accept CFL bulbs for recycling: (Broken bulbs cannot be accepted.)
- Kin-ko Ace Hardware, 6216 Main St, Downers Grove, (630) 968-4355 There is a recycling fee of 50 cents per bulb.
- Home Depot, 2000 Butterfield Rd., Downers Grove, (630) 792-9600
- Home Depot, 2101 W. 75th St., Darien, (630) 271-9600
- Home Depot, 7200 Woodward Ave., Woodridge (630) 795-1950
- IKEA, 750 Boughton Rd., Bolingbrook, (630) 972-7900
Many recycling facilities and special events do not accept smoke alarms. Smoke alarms may be returned to the manufacturer:
Used Motor Oil
The Village accepts used motor oil and transmission fluid which will be used to heat the fleet services garage during the winter months. This program is not for use by commercial entities.
Items may be brought to the Fleet Services garage, Monday-Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The garage is located within the fenced parking lot off Curtiss Street, on the east end of the Village Hall complex. Used motor oil must be poured into the large receptacle located on the south side of the garage, labeled USED MOTOR OIL. Please take empty containers with you to reuse as these are not recyclable.
Used Cooking Oil
For locations that accept used cooking oil, visit SCARCE.
- Unused prescription and over-the-counter drugs are accepted on weekends at the DuPage County Household Hazardous Waste collection site at the Naperville Public Works, 156 Fort Hill Dr., Naperville, IL 60540, (630) 420-6095.
- DuPage County Green Initiatives for a list of drop-off locations
- Dispose My Meds
- U.S. Dept. of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration Drug disposal info and initiatives
The Downers Grove Police Department has a container for disposal of home sharps located in their lobby at 825 Burlington Avenue. The sharps receptacle is available during business hours (M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm).
Dart Container Corporation, 310 Evergreen Drive, North Aurora, IL