The Village of Downers Grove encourages all residents to reduce their waste by taking advantage of the free recycling program.
- Recycling containers purchased from retail stores should be clearly marked RECYCLE on the outside and may not exceed 20-gallons in capacity. There is no limit to the number of recycling containers that may be brought to the curb each week for collection.
- For Refuse Cart rental customers, ONLY:
Republic Services will issue an optional, wheeled recycling cart to subscribers at no additional charge.
. All approved recyclables may be mixed together. Please rinse all items, flatten milk jugs and plastic beverage containers, and flatten all boxes.
- Mixed Paper: advertisements, junk mail, office paper, gift wrap, paper bags, stationery envelopes, shredded paper, paper bags
- Magazines, catalogs, phone books
- Paper back books (no hard covers)
- Chipboard such as gift boxes, tissue boxes, and food boxes
- Glass bottles and jars ( clear, brown, green)
- Aluminum, tin, or steel cans, including empty aerosol cans and paint cans
- Plastic containers coded #1 through #7 (except #6)
- Plastic 6 and 12-pack rings
- Milk cartons, juice cartons, and juice boxes
Items Not Accepted
- Polystyrene foam materials (coded #6) such as drinking cups, plates, egg cartons
- Packing peanuts, foam packing blocks
- Mirrors, window glass, Pyrex glass or dinnerware
- Cardboard soiled with grease or other food residue
- Pots and Pans
- Gas cans or other items containing hazardous chemicals