Amnesty Day will be the week of October 3, 2022, on your regularly scheduled collection day.
Amnesty Day is a one-time pick up. If you miss your Amnesty Day, it may not be rescheduled. The following sticker requirements apply:
Number of Stickers Required
- CUSTOMERS THAT REGULARLY USE STICKERS: The first FIVE (5) bags or cans of refuse (not including yard waste) must each be tagged with a Downers Grove refuse sticker.
- CUSTOMERS THAT RENT A 35-GALLON CART: FOUR (4) items must be stickered.
- CUSTOMERS THAT RENT A 65-GALLON CART: THREE (3) items must be stickered.
- CUSTOMERS THAT RENT A 95-GALLON CART: TWO (2) items must be stickered.
After meeting the sticker requirement, remaining items will be removed free of charge.
- Bulk items such as couches, chairs, lamps, bicycles, etc. are acceptable.
- All materials must be in a container, with the exception of bulk items.
- Construction material is limited to two (2) cubic yards, equivalent to about eight, 33 gallon sized cans.
Items that will NOT be accepted include:
- Motor oil
- Any liquids, paints or household hazardous waste*
- Items known as "white goods" which include large appliances such as washers, dryers, and refrigerators
- Household electronic items such as computers, printers, monitors and televisions
- Yard Waste
*For information about hazardous waste disposal, call the DuPage County Solid Waste Department (630) 407-6700.
Do you have a furniture item that could go directly to a family in need instead of the garbage? Make Sharing Connections Furniture Bank (a 501c3 charity) a part of this year's Amnesty Day - and everyday - by donating your gently used household items and furniture. Your donated items will go directly to families who are struggling with issues like job loss, financial hardship, and domestic violence.
Visit the Sharing Connections website for directions, hours, accepted items or to schedule a pickup.