Unless exempt pursuant to Section 28.9.030, no person shall erect or display any sign unless issued a permit.
- Application. Any person or activity proposing to erect or display a sign shall file an application on a form provided by the Village of Downers Grove.
- Fees. All applicable permit fees shall be paid in full as required.
- Conformance with the National Electrical Code. All signs in which electrical wiring and connections are required for direct or indirect illumination shall conform to the applicable provisions of the National Electrical Code.
- Wind Pressure and Dead Load Requirements. Signs shall be designed and constructed to withstand a wind pressure of not less than forty (40) pounds per square foot of net surface area and to receive dead loads as required in the building code.
- Insurance and Bond Requirements. Every applicant for a permit for a sign which will extend over a public right of way or which is so located that it may fall upon the same, shall file with the Department of Community Development before the permit is granted, an encroachment license agreement indemnifying the Village and holding the Village harmless from any liability as well as a liability insurance policy covering all damage or injury that might be caused by each of said signs, or certificate of insurance therefore, issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in the state of Illinois and satisfactory to the Department of Community Development, with limits of liability of not less than $1,000,000 for property damage and $1,000,000 for personal injuries. The Village, its officers, agents and employees shall be named as additional parties insured. Such liability insurance policy shall be maintained in force throughout the life of the permit, and if at any time it shall not be in full force, the Department of Community Development shall revoke the permit.
- Completion of Authorized Work. If the work authorized under the permit has not been completed within six (6) months after the date of issuance, the permit shall become null and void.
- See Article 9, Chapter 28 of the Downers Grove Municipal Code - Zoning Ordinance