Consultant Lyle Sumek, Lyle Sumek Associates, Inc. welcomed those present to the strategic planning session at 4:10 p.m. at the Public Works Facility, 5101 Walnut Avenue.
Present: Mayor Ron Sandack; Commissioners Marilyn Schnell, Martin Tully (4:35 p.m.), William Waldack, Sean P. Durkin (4:15 p.m.), Geoff Neustadt, Bruce E. Beckman
Staff: Village Manager Cara Pavlicek; Deputy Village Manager Dave Fieldman; Assistant Village Manager Mike Baker; Director of Communications Doug Kozlowski; Village Clerk April Holden; Management Analyst Megan Bourke; Information Services Director Liangfu Wu; Director of Counseling and Social Services Andy Matejcak; Interim Public Works Director Robin Weaver; Director of Community Development Tom Dabareiner; Director of Human Resources Wesley Morgan; Police Chief Robert Porter; Fire Chief Phil Ruscetti; Management Analyst Brandon Dieter
Consultant: Lyle Sumek, Lyle Sumek Associates, Inc.
Residents: John Schofield, 1125 Jefferson
Mr. Sumek suggested that the Council might want to add the downtown area as a goal as it was mentioned many times at last night’s Citizen Summit. He further suggested referring the economic development goal to the Economic Development Corporation.
Mr. Sumek outlined the agenda for session “Looking to Downers Grove’s Future.”
Each Council member was asked to outline five topics regarding the state of the Village in 2022, five major challenges, three focus areas for 2012 and five items on their agenda for 2007-08.
Mr. Sumek outlined the following threats to realizing our vision:
- Retail and Village’s sales tax base
- Legislative actions
- Service expectations with rising service delivery cost
- Capital needs within the Village
- Housing stock
- Sustainable authentic downtown
- Changing community
Staff made a presentation regarding each threat.
Mr. Sumek reviewed the top ten priorities for 2007:
- Watershed improvement plan
- Parkway trees plan, funding and action
- Downtown pattern book and regulatory changes
- Market compensation study and policy (directors and assistant directors)
- Design and construction standard update
- Development of neighborhood infrastructure plan
- CIP comprehensive review
- Customer service training and evaluation
- Performance management training program
- Village Civic Center facilities: Policy direction, funding and actions
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
April K. Holden Village Clerk