On July 5, 2016, the Village Council adopted an ordinance to allow permitted Mobile Food Vendors (food trucks) to operate in certain areas of the Village between the hours of 7:00 a.m and 10:00 p.m., seven days a week. The Village will issue 10 permits at a time on a first-come, first-served basis. The annual fee for each permit is $100. You'll find more details regarding approved locations, operational parameters and the permit application below.
If you have any questions at all, please contact the Village at 630.434.5500. We'll be happy to provide you with the assistance and information you need.
- The Village shall issue 10 permits at a time on a first-come, first-served basis. The fee will be listed in the "User-Fee, License and Fine Schedule."
- The annual fee is $100.
- The permit renewal fee is $25, and must submitted no later than 30 days prior to the expiration of the permit.
- Vendors shall be required to submit a permit application, which includes vehicle and owner information, a menu, a submission of waiver to permit a background check and a hold harmless agreement.
- The applicant shall submit a copy of the DuPage County Health Department permit.
- Vendors shall prominently display the Village permit by affixing the permit to the lower left-hand corner of the windshield of the mobile food vehicle.
- Mobile food vendors shall be permitted only in the following locations: Ellsworth Business Park, and other business parks as depicted on the map detailed in the Related Documents and in the Section 8.17.1 of the ordinance. Public parks owned and operated by the Downers Grove Park District, are also permitted, subject to the Park District's consent, and with a fingerprint background check completed by a State approved agency.
- Hours of operation shall be 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and all sales shall occur on the side of the vehicle nearest the street curb.
- Mobile food vendors shall not operate within 500 feet of the property line of a licensed food establishment unless consent is granted by the proprietor of the licensed food establishment.
- Mobile food vendors shall not operate within 500 feet of the property line of any school regardless of whether or not school is in session. Mobile food vendors shall not operate within 500 feet of any festival, special or civic event sponsored or permitted by the Village unless the mobile food vendor has obtained a temporary use permit from the Village.
- Mobile food vendors shall not operate on private property within the permitted locations unless written consent is obtained from the private property owner. No permit is required for a food truck operating at a private event not open to the general public and not operating on public property.
- No more than three (3) mobile food vehicles shall operate in a private parking lot at a time, providing the vendor is in compliance with the zoning code, off-street parking requirements, and is parked on a dust-free surface lot not blocking any drive aisles.
- Mobile food vendors shall be required to submit sales tax and shall provide, on request, records of sales and sales taxes.
- The Village may suspend or revoke the permit for violations of the ordinance.
- Mobile Food Vendor Ordinance (see Article III. Mobile Food Vehicle Vendors)
- Map of Permitted Business Park Locations
- Mobile Food Vendor Application Packet
- Finger Print Application