The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Worker I in the Village's Public Works Department. This position performs skilled and unskilled labor tasks, usually as a member of a work crew, using hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment in order to repair and maintain Village roads, water mains, storm sewers, traffic control facilities, grounds, buildings and equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
- The use of construction equipment, power and hand tools.
- Written and verbal language sufficient to effectively understand and follow verbal instructions in English and perform manual labor in order to perform duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to be courteous of fellow employees, citizens, and businesses while performing repair and maintenance duties.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- High school diploma or equivalent and some construction experience.
- Candidates must have a valid Illinois class B commercial driver's license (CDL) with air brakes. In addition, the successful candidate must pass a criminal/driving history background check and drug‐screen.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions and perform manual labor; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Must be available to work weekend and evening hours as required. This is a bargaining unit position in the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 150, Public Employees Division.
Starting wage: $41,827 per year, increasing to $59,753 after six years, with benefits.
Applications will be accepted online, only, thorugh October 9, 2015. E.O.E.
Seasonal Snow Plow Driver
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Seasonal Snow Plow Driver in the Village's Public Works Department. This is an On-Call position. On-Call positions are temporary and will last approximately 4 months.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Illinois CDL driver's license. Selected applicants must complete a pre-employment, post-offer background check, drug screen and applicant must provide a driver's license abstract from the Illinois Secretary of State.
Starting wage: $25.00/hour
Application Period: Open until filled
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department; Monday - Friday, 7:00 am- 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Wage: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day) Position open until filled. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.