Seasonal Engineering Intern
Starting Wage: $11.00 per hour
Duties: Under direct supervision, assist in construction project layout and staking for various capital projects within the Village.
- Assist in the maintenance of daily project log, drafting and computing operations involved in the preparation of drawings and plans.
- Assist in field inspections and gathering field data related to paving and repaving of streets and sidewalks, installation of water, sanitary and storm utilities.
- Perform office engineering work, including scanning and filing of plans and other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications: At least one year of college completed, students majoring in civil engineering are preferred. Computer skills with Word and Excel are required. Auto CAD experience is preferred, but not required. Position is for 40 hours per week (8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) lasting for approximately 3 months. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours. A valid driver's license is required.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or around March 17, 2014.
Complete the online application at: publicjobline.com. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Staff Engineer I
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours as required. A valid driver's license is required
Duties: Provide support on capital construction projects including planning, surveying, preparing preliminary budget estimates, design, preparing contract specifications and bid documents; construction administration and inspection.
- Designs and inspects construction of assigned capital projects to ensure compliance with Village codes and ordinances in addition to compliance with contract specifications.
- Responds to citizen inquiries and complaints regarding drainage, village infrastructure and construction work. Performs localized neighborhood drainage investigations.
- Assists other engineering staff with field work on an as-needed basis.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Candidates must have knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices, mathematics, construction project scheduling and accounting, surveying, drafting and plan preparation, reading/interpreting architectural and civil drawings, and in using a personal computer and software (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Candidates must possess good communication skills, both oral and written. Experience/skill with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
Salary: Competitive starting salary and benefits. Annual salary range for this position is $55,729 to $76,627.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or around March 3, 2014. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Fleet Services Manager
Background: The ideal candidate for Fleet Services Manager will have the ability to manage, direct, and coordinate the activities of a bright and talented group of technical professionals that
comprise the fleet maintenance activities at the Village of Downers Grove, which includes central Village fleet operations and a parts warehouse. He/she will have the skills to work effectively with partner agencies, vendors, manufacturers, contractors, and other village departments and divisions to achieve the mission and vision of the Fleet Services Division. Recognized as the 14th Government Green Fleet, our staff of fleet professionals ensures all the vehicles and equipment used by Police, Fire and the Public Works Departments are properly maintained and ready for service to the community.
Minimum Qualifications: To be considered for this position, candidates must have three to six years of increasingly responsible experience in the management of complex municipal operations that
includes supervisory responsibility and an Associate's Degree in business administration, management, engineering, or a closely related field or any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities. Candidates must also have the ability to obtain an Illinois Class B CDL driver's license with air brake endorsement within six months of employment, and have a satisfactory driving record.
Salary: $70,406 to $96,809 annually, DOQ
Supplemental Information: In addition to the salary listed above, upon eligibility the Village will contribute the employee contribution of 4.5% and the employer contribution to a retirement program administered by the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF). In addition, the Village provides excellent medical, dental and prescription plan coverage, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Selection Process: Each candidate's background will be evaluated on the basis of information submitted at the time of application to determine the level and scope of the candidates' preparation
for the position. Only the more qualified candidates, as determined by the screening process, will be invited to participate in the selection process. In addition, background investigations and records checks may be required. The position also requires applicants to have a physical examination and a drug test prior to employment.
Only online applications will be accepted. E.O.E.
Engineering Manager, Public Works
Duties: Supervises a team of Staff Engineers and/or Engineering Technicians, as assigned.
- Designs,coordinates and manages large,complex capital construction projects including planning, surveying, preparing preliminary and final budgets and construction cost estimates, design, preparing contract specifications and bid documents; construction administration and inspection. May also investigate resident inquiries/complaints and provide assistance through resolution of the issue or concern.
- Coordinates internal design efforts along with the work of hired consultants and performs QA reviews of plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Prepares engineering studies and cost estimates for potential public improvement projects.
- Provides technical expertise to the Public Works Department by assisting with the investigation of drainage or water related problems in addition to being available to assist in an emergency situation.
- Coordinates and leads meetings with the public to introduce and coordinate capital projects with residents and neighboring business owners.
- Assists with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and evaluating the performance of subordinate personnel.
- Provides direction and training to Staff Engineers, Engineering Technicians, and administrative personnel. Assists subordinates in resolving complex problems.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Candidates must have advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, drafting and plan preparation, along with knowledge of mathematics, construction project scheduling and accounting, surveying, building systems, reading/interpreting architectural and civil drawings, supervisory principles and practices, and in using a personal computer and software (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Must have a current working knowledge of the various federal, state and local codes, regulations and standards for construction projects.
- Candidates must possess good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience/skill with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required. Candidates should have a minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience in civil engineering or any combination of education and experience which produces the required knowledge,skills and abilities. Must have a valid Illinois Professional Engineer license.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours as required. A valid driver's license is required. Competitive starting salary and benefits.
Application Period: Open until filled. E.O.E. Applications will be accepted online, only.
Bus Driver (Part-Time)
Starting Wage: $14.44/hour to $17.33/hour, with potential to $19.89/hour
Minimum Requirements: Requirements include a CDL Class "B" License with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements and a good driving record.
Candidates must be at least 21 years old.
Applications are available at the receptions desk at Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave., Downers Grove, IL. Applications will be accepted until position is filled E.O.E. .
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department;Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Compensation: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day)
If interested, submit an employment application to: Village of Downers Grove, Department of Human Resources, 801 Burlington Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515.
Application period: Open until filled. E.O.E.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.
Please contact Nick Santoro, Volunteer Coordinator, if you are interested in any of the opportunities below:
- No opportunities at this time