Seasonal Public Works
The Village of Downers Grove Public Works Department is accepting applications for seasonal employment with the Public Works Department. All seasonal positions are temporary, beginning in May and lasting approximately three months.
Duties: Pavement, traffic, drainage, water and grounds maintenance. Work activities are outdoors 95% of time. Generally, hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Minimum Qualifications: Valid State of Illinois driver's license, 18 years of age by the date of hire and enrolled as a full-time student.
If interested, please complete an application. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village of Downers Grove is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill vacancies for the position of full-time 9-1-1 Communications Operator. Applicants will be required to successfully complete a skills testing, panel interview, psychological assessment, and a thorough background investigation.
Duties: The Village Operations Center (VOC) is responsible for coordination of all police, fire, and paramedic services for the Village's of Downers Grove & Westmont. Applicants must have the ability to work in a fast paced, high volume communications center and be able to handle a multitude of stressful situations. Computer knowledge and typing skills are a must for CAD entry.
Applicant must be available to work various shifts and hours. Applicants must possess the ability to function in a multi-tasked environment, have excellent memory recollection and common sense.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma.
Salary: starting at $43,206
Application Period: Applications should be submitted by April 18, 2014. Applications will be accepted online, only E.O.E.
Seasonal Engineering Intern
Starting Wage: $11.00 per hour
Duties: Under direct supervision, assist in construction project layout and staking for various capital projects within the Village.
- Assist in the maintenance of daily project log, drafting and computing operations involved in the preparation of drawings and plans.
- Assist in field inspections and gathering field data related to paving and repaving of streets and sidewalks, installation of water, sanitary and storm utilities.
- Perform office engineering work, including scanning and filing of plans and other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications: At least one year of college completed, students majoring in civil engineering are preferred. Computer skills with Word and Excel are required. Auto CAD experience is preferred, but not required. Position is for 40 hours per week (8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) lasting for approximately 3 months. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours. A valid driver's license is required.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or around March 17, 2014. Complete the online application at: publicjobline.com. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Staff Engineer I
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours as required. A valid driver's license is required
Duties: Provide support on capital construction projects including planning, surveying, preparing preliminary budget estimates, design, preparing contract specifications and bid documents; construction administration and inspection.
- Designs and inspects construction of assigned capital projects to ensure compliance with Village codes and ordinances in addition to compliance with contract specifications.
- Responds to citizen inquiries and complaints regarding drainage, village infrastructure and construction work. Performs localized neighborhood drainage investigations.
- Assists other engineering staff with field work on an as-needed basis.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Candidates must have knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices, mathematics, construction project scheduling and accounting, surveying, drafting and plan preparation, reading/interpreting architectural and civil drawings, and in using a personal computer and software (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Candidates must possess good communication skills, both oral and written. Experience/skill with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
Salary: Competitive starting salary and benefits. Annual salary range for this position is $55,729 to $76,627.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or around March 3, 2014. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Bus Driver (Part-Time)
Starting Wage: $13.95/hour to $16.75/hour, with potential to $19.19/hour
Minimum Requirements: Requirements include a CDL Class "B" License with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements and a good driving record. Candidates must be at least 21 years old.
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department;Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Compensation: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day)
If interested, submit an employment application to: Village of Downers Grove, Department of Human Resources, 801 Burlington Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515.
Application period: Open until filled. E.O.E.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.
Please contact Nick Santoro, Volunteer Coordinator, if you are interested in any of the opportunities below:
- No opportunities at this time