Deputy Fire Chief
Job Duties: Deputy Chief of Operations is under the direction of the Fire Chief. This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and managing the operations of the fire department; supervises professional management staff, will assist in the Accreditation Process, participates in the Duty Chief rotation and performs related duties as required.
Qualifications: Candidates must have experience in the fire service as a chief officer or equivalent position; comprehensive knowledge of current issues in fire management; knowledge of building and construction codes; and the ability to organize, direct and control fire and emergency operations under stressful situations for prolonged periods of time. Candidates will have an active role on the fireground and must be able to demonstrate the technical aspects of emergency scene management. Candidates will be expected to respond to emergencies after hours and will serve in the Duty Chief rotation.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work in a collaborative environment, possess strong problem solving skills, and demonstrate team leadership. The candidate must exhibit excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a commitment to high professional standards. The candidate will promote teamwork and mentor subordinates for success as it applies to the fire service.
- Bachelor's degree in Fire Service or related field.
- Five (5) years or more of progressively responsible fire service management experience.
- Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal Fire Officer II required, Fire Officer III or Chief Fire Officer certification desired
- Illinois Department of Public Health EMT-B or higher.
- Valid Illinois Driver's License - class B non CDL minimum
Salary: Grade 19: Salary Range $93,248 - $128,215 DOQ
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E. Position is open until filled. First review of candidates will occur September 2, 2016
Maintenance Worker I
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Worker I in the Village's Public Works Department. This position performs skilled and unskilled labor tasks, usually as a member of a work crew, using hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment in order to repair and maintain Village roads, water
mains, storm sewers traffic control facilities, grounds, buildings and equipment, including snow removal. Current opening is in the Water Division shop.
Skills and Abilities:
- The use of construction equipment, power and hand tools.
- Written and verbal language sufficient to effectively understand and follow verbal instructions in English and perform manual labor in order to perform duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to be courteous of fellow employees, citizens, and businesses while performing repair and maintenance duties.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- High school diploma or equivalent and some construction experience.
- Possession of a valid Illinois class B commercial driver's license (CDL) with air brakes, or the ability to obtain one within six months of the date of hire. In addition, the successful candidate must pass a criminal/driving history background check and drug‐screen.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions and perform manual labor; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Normal work day is 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must also be available to work scheduled and unscheduled weekend and evening hours as required. This is a bargaining unit position in the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 150, Public Employees Division.
Starting wage for this position is $43,944 per year, increasing to $62,777 after six years, with benefits.
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E. Position is open until filled.
Staff Engineer I
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours as required. A valid driver's license is required.
- Provides support on capital construction projects including planning ,surveying, preparing preliminary budget estimates, design, preparing contract specifications and bid documents
- Construction administration and inspection.
- Designs and inspects construction of assigned capital projects to ensure compliance with Village codes and ordinances, in addition to compliance with contract specifications.
- Responds to citizen inquiries and complaints regarding drainage, Village infrastructure and construction work.
- Performs localized neighborhood drainage investigations.
- Assists other engineering staff with field work on an as-needed basis.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required: Candidates must have knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices, mathematics, construction project scheduling and accounting, surveying, drafting and plan preparation, reading/interpreting architectural and civil drawings, and in using a personal computer and software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel). Candidates must possess good communication skills, both oral and written. Experience/skill with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
Competitive starting salary and benefits: Annual salary range for this position is $58,549 to $70,259.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or around August 1, 2016.
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Staff Development Engineer
The Village is accepting applications for a Staff Development Engineer. Successful candidates demonstrate a passion for the work, a knowledge of stormwater regulations, a positive internal and external customer service attitude, adaptability and an ability to understand and balance competing priorities. The position would assist the Community Development Department in reviewing development proposals and processing building and development permits by examining and evaluating construction documents for code compliance.
Examples of Major Duties:
- Review and interpret construction drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Review land development plans, subdivision plans, and related stormwater studies for accuracy, applicability and compliance with relevant laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Serve as primary coordinator and customer contact for stormwater permits and coordinate comments from other departments (building, fire prevention, public works and zoning) to compose complete and accurate permit review correspondence to permit applicants.
- Conduct site visits to clarify review issues and concerns and perform inspections to ensure project completion.
- Complete permit reviews in a consistently short review time while assuring accurate, reasonable, understandable and high quality review content; review time target for first review is 10 business days.
- Provide technical assistance related to the stormwater ordinance and development regulations to Village staff, permit applicants, and general public.
- Be the primary point of contact for outside engineering consultants who assist with permit reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
The ideal Staff Development Engineer candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and four years of experience reviewing construction permits and development plans, or a combination of practical construction experience and education which produces the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Registered Professional Engineer with the State of Illinois preferred and Certification as a Floodplain Manager desirable. Position requires effective public contact, ability to exercise good judgment, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work independently. Qualified candidates must have ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high volume, demanding environment.
Starting salary: DOQ, plus excellent benefits:
- Medical/Dental/Prescription Participation Plan coverage
- Vacation/Sick time
- Paid Holidays
- IMRF Pension
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department; Monday - Friday, 7:00 am- 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Wage: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day) Position open until filled. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.