Police Officer Recruitment
The Board of Police Commissioners of the Village of Downers Grove, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Downers Grove Police Department.
Salary: $61,322 - $91,874 (7 years)
Downers Grove Population: 49,500
Sworn Police Officers: 74
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Downers Grove:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Possess 20/20 corrected vision;
- Minimum of 21 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age by the application deadline date (January 9, 2017), unless the candidate is currently employed as a police officer in a regularly constituted police department of any municipality which extends the age to 40 years of age;
- Possess an Associate's Degree -OR- the equivalent of at least 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college (official transcripts will be required at the background investigation stage);
- Possess a valid NIPSTA (P.O.W.E.R. Test) card -OR- equivalent criteria as per the State standard (i.e. P.O.W.E.R. Test cards issued through Joliet Junior College or Triton Community College), issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (January 9, 2017);
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Downers Grove for the following:
- Military Experience: 2.5 points for 1 year of active duty U.S. military service members with an Honorable Discharge. DD-214 must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Applications must be submitted online by MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2017 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
- Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination Testing: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend a mandatory orientation and written examination on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - Check-in starts at 7:30 a.m.
- To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit: http://www.applytoserve.com
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, order of protection status, military status, sexual orientation, or an unfavorable discharge from military services.
Administrative Secretary (Part-Time)
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for a part-time position (20 hours per week, 4-hours per day) as Administrative Secretary I in the Community Development Department. Successful candidates must possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced, high volume, customer satisfaction-driven environment. They must have the ability to maintain positive working relationships while working independently as well as part of a team. The candidate must possess skills in managing multiple priorities and the ability to answer telephone calls while performing data entry functions. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail is essential.
Duties: This position performs secretarial, administrative, and public contact duties with a fair amount of independence, including:
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with superb accuracy.
- Strong administrative skills (e.g., answering telephone inquiries, data entry, electronic and paper filing, scanning, drafting letters, preparing public hearing notices and scheduling inspections)
- Researching zoning classifications and historical uses through Village digital files, paper files, and online maps
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or equivalent and at least one year of clerical experience. Prefer some continuing education in secretarial science or related field; Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, Email, Internet; Extremely organized. Strong multi-tasking and time-management skills
Compensation: $18 per hour
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Staff Development Engineer
The Village is accepting applications for a new Staff Development Engineer position. Successful candidates demonstrate a passion for the work, a knowledge of stormwater regulations, a positive internal and external customer service attitude, adaptability and an ability to understand and balance competing priorities.
The position would assist the Community Development Department in reviewing development proposals and processing building and development permits by examining and evaluating construction documents for code compliance.
Examples of Major Duties:
- Review and interpret construction drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Review land development plans, subdivision plans, and related stormwater studies for accuracy, applicability and compliance with relevant laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Serve as primary coordinator & customer contact for stormwater permits and coordinate comments from other departments (building, fire prevention, public works and zoning) to compose complete and accurate permit review correspondence to permit applicants
- Conduct site visits to clarify review issues and concerns and perform inspections to ensure project completion.
- Complete permit reviews in a consistently short review time while assuring accurate, reasonable, understandable and high quality review content; review time target for first review is 10 business days.
- Provide technical assistance related to the stormwater ordinance and development regulations to Village staff, permit applicants, and general public.
- Be a point of contact for outside engineering consultants who assist with permit reviews.
- Perform final engineering inspections and field visits as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
The ideal Staff Development Engineer candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and one to two years of experience reviewing construction permits and development plans, or a combination of practical construction experience and education which produces the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Registered Professional Engineer with the State of Illinois and Certification as a Floodplain Manager desirable but not required.
Position requires effective public contact, ability to exercise good judgment, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work independently. Qualified candidates must have ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high volume, demanding environment.
Starting salary: DOQ, up to $72,000
Excellent Benefits: Medical/Dental/Prescription Participation Plan coverage; Vacation/Sick time; Paid Holidays; IMRF Pension
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Seasonal Snow Plow Drivers
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Seasonal Snow Plow Drivers in the Village's Public Works Department. This is an On-Call position. On-Call positions are temporary and will last approximately 4 months.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Illinois CDL driver's license. Selected applicants must complete a pre-employment, post-offer background check, drug screen and applicant must provide a driver's license abstract from the Illinois Secretary of State.
Starting wage: $25/hour.
Application Period: Open until filled. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Staff Engineer II
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Staff Engineer II, in the Public Works Department.
Duties: Provides support on capital construction projects including planning, surveying, preparing preliminary budget estimates, design, preparing contract specifications and bid documents; construction administration and inspection. Designs and inspects construction of assigned capital projects to ensure compliance with Village codes and ordinances in addition to compliance with contract specifications. Responds to citizen inquiries and complaints regarding drainage, Village infrastructure and construction work. Performs localized neighborhood drainage investigations. Assists other engineering staff with field work on an as-needed basis. Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required: Candidates must have knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices, mathematics, construction project scheduling and accounting, surveying, drafting and plan preparation, reading/interpreting architectural and civil drawings, and in using a personal computer and software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel). Candidates must possess good communication skills, both oral and written. Experience/skill with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field and at least four years of progressively responsible experience is required.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening hours as required. A valid driver's license is required. Competitive starting salary and benefits. Annual salary range for this position is $70,114 to $84,137.
Application Period: Open until filled. First review of candidates will occur on or about November 28, 2016. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
Assistant Director of Human Resources
Job Summary: Acts as primary assistant to the Human Resources Director, assisting in planning, organizing and directing all aspects of the Human Resources Department. Assists in and oversees issues related to benefits/compensation administration, recruitment, training, policies and procedures. The Assistant Human Resources Director serves as acting director in the absence of the Human Resources Director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for all aspects of day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources in personnel matters and assumes all responsibility of the Human Resources Department in the absence of the Director.
- Administers the Village's employee benefit program; coordinates benefits administration and contracts for health, dental, vision, deferred compensation, life insurance, and other insurance/benefits programs, coordinates annual open enrollment and wellness programs, assists employees in benefit related issues, including claim disputes and appeals, and develops and monitors contracts with consultants and insurance providers.
- Assists in training employees with regard to leadership, management and discrimination/harassment issues.
- Assists in developing recruitment and employee retention efforts, and coordinates recruitment activities; post job ads, receive and process applications, schedule interviews, reference checks/background checks, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all State, federal and local regulations.
- Responsible for new employee orientation program.
- Assists in developing and implementing department budget.
- Assists in coordinating FMLA paperwork and track and monitor status of employees on FMLA.
- Assists with coordination of the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund benefits for Village employees.
- Assists in developing and implementing Village's unemployment benefits.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Record keeping, report preparation, filing methods and records management techniques
- Knowledge in applicable state, federal and local laws, rules and regulations
- Knowledge in Human Resources management
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with employees at all levels, vendors, consultants, and elected officials
- Ability to resolve employee benefits problems
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks in a fast-paced and changing environment without a loss in productivity or quality
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education: Bachelor's degree preferred from an accredited college or university in human resources, business, public administration or related field.
Experience: At least three to five years in the field of human resources and/or employee benefits administration. A combination of education and experience is also satisfactory.
Starting Salary: $73 ,969+/-, DOQ plus excellent benefits: Medical/Dental/Prescription Participation Plan coverage; Vacation/Sick time; Paid Holidays; IMRF Pension
Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E. Application Period: Open until filled.
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the Village of Downers Grove, Illinois is accepting appointment(s) to the position of firefighter/paramedic with the Downers Grove Fire Department.
All Applicants Must Meet the Following Minimum Requirements Established by the Village of Downers Grove:
- At least 21 years of age and not older than 35 at time of appointment, except per Illinois Statute 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6
- U.S. Citizen
- No felony convictions
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Possess an Associate's Degree -OR- the equivalent of at least 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college (at time of application)
- Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record
- Possess 20/20 corrected vision
- Present a valid CPAT card with Ladder Climb (date must be within 12 months of the application deadline of November 18, 2016)
- Possess a valid Paramedic License from the Illinois Department of Public Health - (IDPH) (at time of application)
- Possess a Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter (BOF) Certification from the Office of the State Fire Marshal (Illinois) (at time of application)
- Must successfully test into the Good Samaritan EMS System (after tentative offer of employment)
- Must successfully complete a written examination
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, oral interview with the Board of Fire and Police Commission and psychological testing
- Must successfully complete a medical and visual examination
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee
All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior to the orientaion regarding their status in the process.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website: http://www.applytoserve.com
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department; Monday - Friday, 7:00 am- 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Wage: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day) Position open until filled. Applications will be accepted online, only. E.O.E.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.