The Village of Downers Grove Finance Department is seeking a cashier to work 20-25 hours per week. The successful candidate must have strong communication skills with the ability to provide accurate and friendly customer service to village residents, which includes accepting payments for various village activities such as utility bills, parking and licenses. Must also have analytical skills to perform numerical calculations and the ability to balance the cash register daily, as well as understand and carry out oral and written instructions, paying close attention to detail and accuracy. In addition, the Cashier must have the ability to organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, multi-task, and follow up assignments with a minimum of direction, and be proficient in Excel.
The individual in this position will be responsible for processing accounts receivable billing, parking billing and accounts receivable collections. The successful candidate will have a High School diploma or equivalent. Accounts Receivable experience is desirable.
Hours are Monday - Friday; 12:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Tuesday night hours will be required until 7:00 p.m.
Starting Wage: $18.10 to $25.41/hour
Staff Development Engineer
The Village is accepting applications for a new Staff Development Engineer position. Successful candidates demonstrate a passion for the work, a knowledge of stormwater regulations, a positive internal and external customer service attitude, adaptability and an ability to understand and balance competing priorities.
The position would assist the Community Development Department in reviewing development proposals and processing building and development permits by examining and evaluating construction documents for code compliance.
Examples of Major Duties:
- Review and interpret construction drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Review land development plans, subdivision plans, and related stormwater studies for accuracy, applicability and compliance with relevant laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Serve as primary coordinator & customer contact for stormwater permits and coordinate comments from other departments (building, fire prevention, public works and zoning) to compose complete and accurate permit review correspondence to permit applicants
- Conduct site visits to clarify review issues and concerns and perform inspections to ensure project completion.
- Complete permit reviews in a consistently short review time while assuring accurate, reasonable, understandable and high quality review content; review time target for first review is 10 business days.
- Provide technical assistance related to the stormwater ordinance and development regulations to Village staff, permit applicants, and general public.
- Be a point of contact for outside engineering consultants who assist with permit reviews.
- Perform final engineering inspections and field visits as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
The ideal Staff Development Engineer candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and one to two years of experience reviewing construction permits and development plans, or a combination of practical construction experience and education which produces the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Registered Professional Engineer with the State of Illinois and Certification as a Floodplain Manager desirable but not required.
Position requires effective public contact, ability to exercise good judgment, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work independently. Qualified candidates must have ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high volume, demanding environment.
Starting salary: DOQ, up to $72,000
Excellent Benefits: Medical/Dental/Prescription Participation Plan coverage; Vacation/Sick time; Paid Holidays; IMRF Pension
Seasonal Snow Plow Drivers
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Seasonal Snow Plow Drivers in the Village's Public Works Department. This is an On-Call position. On-Call positions are temporary and will last approximately 4 months.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Illinois CDL driver's license. Selected applicants must complete a pre-employment, post-offer background check, drug screen and applicant must provide a driver's license abstract from the Illinois Secretary of State.
Starting wage: $25/hour.
Application Period: Open until filled.
The Village of Downers Grove is accepting applications for the position of Crossing Guard to assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school. Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to work in all weather. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact CSO Supervisor Timothy Sembach at the Downers Grove Police Department; Monday - Friday, 7:00 am- 3:00 pm at (630) 434-5636.
Wage: $10.00 per trip ($20.00 a day) Position open until filled.
The Village is looking for volunteers to work on special projects as needed, such as electronics recycling events, general office assistance, building improvements and emergency response.
If you are interested in becoming a Municipal Volunteer, please fill out the Online Application, which identifies your skills and availabilities. Applicants will be kept on file and called upon, as needed, or may apply for specific posted volunteer opportunities.