The Village of Downers Grove, which has a land area of about 14.4 miles, is located in DuPage County and is 22 miles west of Chicago. DuPage County is the second most populated county in Illinois, after Cook County. The median household income in the Village is $83,000. Along with several major arterial highways, three Burlington Northern commuter train stations are located in the Village; these provide commuters about a 25-minute train ride to and from Chicago and easy access to the entire metropolitan area.
The resident population is 49,543; however, the Village’s corporate business parks and shopping districts raise the daytime population and economic activity, providing the Village the benefit of a significant level of sales tax revenue. A review of the retail expenditure information suggests that the Village attracts residents from surrounding communities to support the sales tax income. The property tax base is 75 percent residential, 22 percent commercial, and three percent industrial. The ten leading commercial property tax payers are from a diverse economic base and account for only 8.2 percent of the local tax base.
The Village of Downers Grove was originally settled in 1832 and was incorporated on March 31, 1873. Today, the Village operates under the Council-Manager form of government. As defined by the Illinois statues, the Village is a home-rule community and provides a full range of municipal services to its residential and commercial customers. These services include police and fire protection; building code and fire prevention inspection services; emergency 911 dispatch service, paramedic services; water services; a commuter bus transportation system; a commuter and residential parking system, community development services; and the construction and maintenance of streets, stormwater, and other municipal infrastructure.
Number of employees: 341.88 full time equivalent
Operating Budget: The current Fiscal Year operating budget can be found on the Village Budget page.
Freedom of Information Officer: April Holden, 801 Burlington Ave, Downers Grove, IL 60515 (630) 434-5500 or fax (630) 434-5571
Location and Number of Offices
- Village Hall: 801 Burlington Ave, (630) 434-5500
- Fire Station #1: 2560 Wisconsin Ave, (630) 434-5980
- Fire Station #2: 5420 Main Street, (630) 434-5980
- Fire Station #3: 3900 Highland Ave, (630) 434-5980
- Fire Station #5: 6701 Main Street, (630) 434-5980
- Police Department: 825 Burlington Ave, (630) 434-5600
- Public Works Facility: 5101 Walnut, (630) 434-5460
Categories of Records Available Promptly
- Collective Bargaining Contracts
- Village Council Policies
- Job Descriptions
- Job Postings (also electronic) for vacancies
- Minutes & Agendas (all areas)
- Ordinances & Resolutions
- Municipal Code
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports
- Bid Records
- Monthly Statistical Reports
- GIS Maps
- Record of Expenditures
- Public Property Files
Boards and Commissions: Government
- Architectural Design Review Board
- Board of Fire and Police Commissioners
- Building Board of Appeals
- Community Events Commission
- Community Grants Commission
- Environmental Concerns Commission
- Finance and Administrative Standing Committee
- Fire Pension Board
- Foreign Fire Fund
- Human Service Commission
- Library Board of Trustees
- Liquor Commission
- Plan Commission
- Police Pension Board
- Public Safety Standing Committee
- Public Services Standing Committee
- Stormwater and Flood Plain Oversight Committee
- Technology Commission
- TIF Joint Review Boards
- Transportation and Parking Commission
- Zoning Board of Appeals
The Freedom of Information Act, 5 ILCS 140 /3 et seq., is the principal Illinois statute governing the inspection of public records. The Act requires that public bodies make available for inspection or copying all public records to any person. Exceptions are provided to insure the confidentiality of certain types of sensitive public records.
- Persons desiring to inspect or receive copies of Village records must submit a request in writing or may complete a REQUEST FOR PUBLIC RECORDS form (form FOIA -09.1-Request) as provided by the Village.
- Forms will be available in the reception areas of the Village Hall, Public Works Department, Police Department, Fire Station No. 2, and on-line at . In addition, forms may be requested and submitted via e-mail to or by fax (630) 434-5571.
- All requests for records must be received during normal business hours of the general administrative offices of the Village. (Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm., excluding holidays) Requests submitted electronically after normal business hours will be considered received by the Village on the next business day.
- Upon receipt of a General Request, the Village will respond within five working days of the date of request.
- Standard copies of records: no fee
- Color copies of records: $.10 per page
- Maps, photographs, CD’s, DVD ’s, etc.: Actual cost of reproduction