Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal
On June 22, 2022 the CSS portal recently went through a software upgrade. The Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal will require new procedures for citizen use. Instructions on how to register and use the new CSS portal are provided below, in the Resources section.
NOTE: If you have recently signed up for the Citizen Self Service portal, the recent vendor upgrade on June 22, 2022 will require you to re-register your account. See more details in the Resources section.
The Finance Department bills customers for a wide variety of services. These non-utility bills, referred to as General Billing include, alarm board billing, parking permits and other miscellaneous accounts receivable.
General billing invoices are sent out by mail 30 days before payment is due. Bills are due and payable upon receipt. Any bill that remains unpaid after the billing date may be subject to a late fee. Payments can be made using the following methods:
- ONLINE: Citizens can view and pay general billing invoices securely online by accessing their account using the Citizen Self-Service (CSS) portal. If you are a new user please create a new CSS account. Please read the resources below for detailed processes with this new system.
NOTE: When you link an existing account, the Customer ID will need to be entered without leading zeros (e.g. if your old customer ID was 0012345, your existing new customer ID is 12345).
- BY MAIL:
Payments and correspondence may be mailed to:
Village of Downers Grove, 801 Burlington Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515-4776
Please allow 7 business days for delivery and processing. If a third party service is paying your bill by mail, please ensure they have the correct mailing address on file.
- IN PERSON:
Payments may be made by check, cash, or credit card in person at Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave., or Public Works, 5101 Walnut Ave. during the following business hours: Monday-Friday: 8AM - 5PM.
NOTE: ALL PAYMENTS RECEIVED AFTER 5:00 P.M. WILL BE CREDITED TO THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.
You can discover additonal information regarding this service portal resources by clicking on common questions below:
- If you register for a CSS account using your previous credentials and the email addresses match, your existing CSS account information will be available to you.
- If you do not use an existing email, or if you currently have multiple accounts using the same email address, you must complete the new account registration and relink accounts.
Yes. You’ll be prompted to create an account and sign-up. In addition, most applications offer enhanced capabilities if you sign-up. This includes the ability to setup a shared profile to link account numbers from different applications, view transaction history and save payment preferences.
User Name/Account Settings
To access your Account Settings page, click your user name in the upper-right corner of any CSS page, then click My Account.
Account Settings provides user account information, including username and email details. If permissions and setup allow, Account Settings also includes the Link to Account options for the various accounts that you can link to your personal Citizen Self Service user account. The Go to Module Homepage option opens the specific module's Search page.
When you click one of the Link to Account options on the Account Settings page or within account-specific pages for the modules, you must verify your account ownership by entering required values in verification fields. Enter the required information. In addition to the Account number, customers will have to also enter their Name (Last Name, First Name) in order to strengthen the security. Click Submit to return to the Account Settings page.
The Customer Profile Details page provides your account information, such as you address, telephone number, and email address, and bill delivery preferences. Clicking Return to My Account returns you to the Account Settings page.
If Bill History Reporting is enabled, the View Bill History option is also available on the Profile Details page. When you select this option, the program provides the history for all your established bill categories. On the Customer Profile Details page, click Edit in the Bill Delivery Preferences group to update the bill delivery preferences using the Manage Bill Delivery Preferences page.
General Billing Accounts
The General Billing linked accounts group displays the customer's name and city. Use the Manage Bills option to display general billing invoice details.
The General Billing Linked Accounts page presents a list of the general billing accounts linked to your user name. Depending on the settings established in General Billing, you may be able to view bill information on the Manage Bills page. (Refer to the Linked Accounts section for more information.)
When search results are returned, the Manage Bills page provides a list of your outstanding general billing invoices. The Details option displays more information for each invoice.
The Bill Detail page displays detailed information for the invoice, including charge information. The Payments or View Payments options provide payment history for the bill. The Pay Bill or Add to Cart buttons allow you to pay the bill according to the defined payment process.
When the Shopping Cart payment method is enabled on the Payment Settings page in Citizen Administration, the credit card payment verification settings are used for all bill types for which web payments are enabled. This allows you to pay multiple bills from multiple categories at the same time using the Shopping Cart functionality.
On the Bill Detail pages, click Add to Cart to see the description of the item and the dollar amount added to My Cart menu.
After clicking Add to Cart, the program displays a message under the Bill Detail heading stating that the bill has been added to your shopping cart. The message provides direction on how toprocess the payment. The My Cart menu also displays, providing options to review your cart orstart the checkout process.
Shopping Cart Review
When you click Review Cart in the My Cart option, the Shopping Cart Review page displays. Here you can remove individual items from the shopping cart or click Pay to display the PayBills page to select the payment method for the payment process. Click Close to close out of the shopping cart.
The Select Payment Method page provides credit card payment methods.
To enter a payment by credit card
- Enter the billing address. The Billing Address page adds billing information, such as the mailing address andcontact telephone number, associated with the account you are using to make the payment.
- Click Continue when all billing information is correct.
- Enter the payment amount. The Payment Amount page specifies the payment amount. The Due Now amount is the default payment amount. You can modify the amount of the payment in the Payment Amount box.
- Click Continue when all payment amounts are correct.
- Select the payment type. If you are paying by credit card, you must enter the credit card number, card ID(CVV) number, and expiration date on the Pay Bills page. Click Make Payment or Submit to process the record; click Cancel to end the payment transaction. Once the payment is complete, the application presents a confirmation page.
- Click the Log In or dedicated Citizen Self Service > Log in/Register on the page.
- Click the Register for a new account under the username and password fields.
NOTE: Clicking the Sign In button opens a sign-in dialog where you’ll need to choose a social provider (Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, etc) or enter an email and password used during the initial sign-up process.
- Complete the required fields, those with astericks, on the registration form and click Register.
NOTE: The email address will be your username.
- Before your account is officially registered, the system will send an email to your email address. You must click the confirmation link in the email before you can access the account.
- When you receive the email, click the link in the email to confirm your email address.
- The email confirmation page will appear. Click the Sign In to Citizen Self Service link.
The Village's software vendor periodically updates their software to maintain security and feature enhancements. Due to these upgrades, residents who use the citizen self-service portal will need to re-register their accounts after the newly applied updates. When you re-register, if you use the same email address as your previous account, your account will retain its data.
To re-register your account follow the instructions under the How do I sign up for Citizen Self Service (CSS)? resource.
NOTICE: If you choose to sign in with one of the social provider accounts (Google, Apple, Microsoft or Facebook) you must ALWAYS use that option to log in (not the email address and password option). You will also NOT have the option to be able change your password because you are authenticating through the social provider accounts and using their service's login information.
YES. Your Apple, Facebook, Google or Microsoft account can be used to sign-in. As an alternative, you can sign-up using an email account and the password of your choosing.
If using a social provider, you follow their instructions:
- Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com
- Google - https://support.google.com
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com
- Apple - https://support.apple.com
- On the sign-in dialog click Forgot Password? if you choose to use an e-mail. Clicking on this link opens a new dialog that asks for the email you used when you signed up.
- Entering an email and clicking the button Reset Password will send an email that includes a reset link.
- You can use that link to open a new browser window and update your password.
- After you sign-in you’ll see a Profile icon and link on the upper right of your browser window. Click the link to open your profile page.
- On the profile page click Edit profile info to open your account details and look for the Extra Verification section.
- You can choose to use either SMS (text message) or email as a second authentication factor. When enabled you’ll receive a one-time code or link as a verification step when you sign-in. Choose which factor you want to enable and follow the directions to complete the setup.
All of the Village’s self service portals are hosted with the software vendor. If you chose to use an e-mail address instead of a social provider for sign-in, it’s the vendor’s services that handles your authentication and any management activities that require your email.
To ensure future correspondence arrives in your inbox and not your SPAM, please add this email address to your whitelist. To whitelist an email address just means you add them to your approved senders list. This tells your email provider that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk/spam folder.
All business license, general billing, personal property, and utility billing accounts can be linked to your Citizen Self Service user ID.
Your Customer ID or Account number are required. In addition to the Account number, customers will have to also enter their name (Last Name, First Name) in order to strengthen the security.
When you click one of the Link to Account options on the Account Settings page or within account-specific pages for the modules, you must verify your account ownership by entering required values in verification fields. Enter the required information and click Submit to return to the Account Settings page.